Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, September 29, 2008

A note about safe and not safe fruits and veggies

From http://www.equinerecline.org/fruits.html:

"Ever wandered around the produce aisles at the grocery store wondering what else you could feed
your horse as a treat instead of just carrots and apples? Well I have plenty of times. Finally I went
on a hunt to find a list of safe fruits and vegetables and unsafe ones too. So here are the fruits of
my labor. Please remember to remove pits from fruits such as peaches and cherries as they are
poisonous. And feed all foods in moderation, whether you have fed them to your horse before or
not. It is better to feed them a very small portion than a large one.

SAFE

~ Apples
~ Apricots
~ Bananas
~ Beets
~ Blackberries
~ Blueberries
~ Carrots
~ Celery
~ Cherries
~ Coconut
~ Corn
~ Dates
~ Figs
~ Grapes
~ Grapefruit
~ Horseradish
~ Lettuce
~ Mangoes
~ Oranges
~ Peaches
~ Pears
~ Pineapple
~ Plums
~ Pumpkin
~ Raisins
~ Rutabagas
~ Squash
~ Strawberries
~ Sweet Potatoes
~ Turnips
~ Watermelon (both rind and pulp)

UNSAFE

~ Avocado
~ Onions
~ Potatoes
~ Persimmons
~ Rhubarb
~ Tomatoes
~ Any other members of the nightshade family which includes peppers
~ Broccoli or Cauliflower (may cause gas, which in turn may cause gas colic)

When in doubt, do NOT feed it!"

No comments: