Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In which Solomon gets fresh

Hello everyone!
First of all, great news- I am on the waiting list for a therapeutic riding program in Marin county! They warned me that it may take a very long time before they have an opening, but I am on the list!
I'm very hyper right now. I have switched to a low-carb diet and I already have a ton of energy.
It was also windy, which gets the horses a bit excited.

There were some people looking at Reiny Day as a possible purchase, so Solomon and I mostly needed to stay out of people's ways. That was okay with Solomon and I.

Solomon was also rather hyper today. In fact, he really wanted to trot! So I ran and he trotted alongside me, keeping pace very very nicely. We ran all the way down the fenceline together! I had an asthma attack and I probably won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow, but man was it ever fun. Solomon gets a little ramped up when I start wheezing though- he starts snorting! But he looks to me for guidance.

We did a little bit of grazing, but the potential buyers were on a trail ride so we went back to his pasture. I had left his lead rope on the porch on the other side of the ranch- I didn't have him clipped when we went running together. Once we got to a certain point, however, he refused to budge with just coaxing, so I used my belt as a lead rope. He became very fascinated with it and kept grabbing it so that he could chew it. When I was putting it on, he kept trying to pull it back off so he could play with it.

Then I sat down next to the trough, and Solomon came over for loves, wandered off, then came back again. He started wiggling his lip back and forth on my belly, then he tried to unzip my pants. When that plan was vetoed, he started pawing. I'm pretty sure he was saying "MOMMMM I'm bored and we came back in way too soon!"

Okay then, it was time for the roundpen.
Solomon did great with walking and trotting, though I did have to get after him a couple of times for cutting corners. It only took a little big stronger signaling however, and he was right back out there. He also consistently moved away from me.

Next we practiced exiting the gate, which he was very good about today. He was patient, and he stopped and started just when I asked him to.

Then it was time for his feed pan, which he was very pleased with today. He kept licking it long after the food was gone.

At the end of the day, we went back to his pasture. Here you can see how he tends to drink if you offer him water.

After he drank, he buried his nose in some oat hay, and did not pay much attention to the fact that I was walking off. He doesn't have a buddy in with him today, and when I got a little ways down the road, I heard him whinny. When I looked back, he was at the gate, head high, staring at me. Awwh.

On the way home I visited Hossmoor and caught up with the barn owner. I uh, I think we chatted for an hour and a half. It was great to catch up!

I saw a lot of baby deer today. Here are some, proving that Solomon's fear is well-founded.

No comments: