Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Happy anniversary!

Yesterday was Bo and DeDe's 28th wedding anniversary! Congrats you two!
The man saw how much better I was walking after spending the day with my horse, and how much less cranky I was, and gifted me with some gas money so I was able to go see him again.
Solomon was still in the pasture across the street, so I went out to say hi.

Remmy had other ideas about my visit!

Remmy is one of those young horses that is relentlessly playful. And boy does he ever love attention. Today I was not wearing loose-fitting clothing, so he tried to eat one of my boots. The problem there being twofold- one, I did not want him to eat my boot, and two, my foot was still in said boot. His teeth closed down on the toe with an audible chomping noise. All I had to do was say "AAAAH" and he let go, but I was, I'll admit, a little startled!

Contrast to Poco Joe, who is a calm boy and who just wants to get along.

Solomon had enjoyed his turn out, I think, but he was done with these whippersnappers who were 15 years his juniors, and he wanted to come in. He glued himself to me, blowing softly on my hands. There was a tiny bit of anxiousness in that blowing, coupled with relief. We walked all around the pasture, with Remmy chasing behind, occasionally trying to run Sol off, but I cut him off at the pass. Solomon started hiding behind me. Oh Solly, you probably have a hand and a couple hundred pounds on Remmy.
But Solomon just isn't that young or into playing. He kept walking over to this or that gate, shoving at it with his nose, giving me a Significant Look, then shoving the gate again. "I'm so done," he said.

I didn't have a halter, so I had to leave the field to get one and bring Solomon in. When I left and didn't take him with me, Solomon started whinnying to me. Don't worry boy!

Bo and I went and got his halter, and he decided it would be safer for all concerned if he pulled Solomon out himself.

When we drove the mule up to the field, Remmy was running Sol and Poco Joe around. It was pretty to watch, but Sol was breathing pretty hard, too.

The first try the gate didn't get unlatched fast enough, and we lost our opportunity. Solomon ran away because Remmy charged him, wanting to be brought out instead.

Solomon got really upset at that point, and was running back and forth along the gate, nostrils flaring. Oh, he was so done!

So the second time I worked the gate. I almost opened it outwards, but Bo had me swing it in so they could slip out, and run out of the way. I managed to haul my butt out of the way pretty well, considering my back's current condition. Bo handed him to me and drove back to the ranch. Solly was very worked up, but also quite obedient, just being happy that he was out.

Funnily enough though, he did pause a little ways in the front gate of the ranch, wondering why Remmy and Poco Joe weren't coming with, perhaps. I am not really sure. Maybe he was just needing to orient himself a little bit and re-order his thoughts, since his environment had just changed again.

I took him out to the big field next to the big mare pasture. Solomon was quite happy, and the mares seemed strangely happy to see him as well. There was no squealing, and the alpha mares chased off the younger mares so they could get some nose sniffs in. Getting Solomon to walk away was another issue entirely, and it took a lot of coaxing. He was displeased, and kept saying "but mom can't you understand that THIS is where I WANT TO BE?"

But he was happy to see his old pasture.

There's no water quite like home water, and the first thing Solomon did when I set him loose was go check out his trough, then take a big long drink.

You know, I never get tired of little things like this... like how Solomon sticks his tongue out in the water, but filters everything through his teeth so he doesn't drink any oak leaves. He is the quietest drinker ever. He is a water-ninja.

And he was happy to be back in comfortable, familiar surroundings. Note the droopy lip.

He did kind of wonder why he didn't have any buddies, but all in all life wasn't bad at all. He got a big flake of oat hay soon after.

And of course in the interest of training my horse to do the most useful stuff, like, EVER, we did "smile" again.

He kind of looks like he is singing opera here!

No comments: