Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Farrier and mucking

Hey folks, I am so sorry, I forgot to update!

Yesterday I was in bed all day, worn out from the panic of the night before. But tonight I can update, and tomorrow I am going back to the ranch.

I am very sorry to say, I have forgotten a lot of details about my day at the ranch. Unfortunately my memory goes really wonky after something traumatic happens- the trauma tends to over-write other things.

But I joked with the farriers, Roberto and Grant. Roberto showed me photos of his lovely horse. Solomon only got front shoes this time- so far, so good with that. I have grown quite fond of those farriers.

I worked Solly in the roundpen before I took him to get his feet trimmed and shod. He voluntarily cantered, having spent a day and some change in a stall because of the storms. Solomon is not a stall kind of horse, and he quickly gets to weaving.

He was still really antsy with the farriers, and headbutted me a good number of times, despite my being fairly firm with him. I let him loose to graze for as long as I could. Sweet Roberto called me over and said "look at him, look at how good he looks! You've done a great thing for this horse." Awwh!

Hot tea was drunk, of course, and conversations were had. They're in my head somewhere, but I can't pull them up. I've been trying to consciously remember. It'll come to me.

Bo and I cleaned 6 stalls together. I raked and he mucked. It was really pleasant, actually. Companionable, honest work. I love mucking. Maybe if I did it all the time every day I wouldn't. But it makes me feel accomplished and it's meditative. And work is much more fun when shared.
I watered I don't know how many horses. 11 I think.

Tomorrow there should be some sun.

No comments: