Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The 27th!

On the 27th of February, I rode Teddy Bear completely bareback, with just a halter and lead rope!

Here I am in "neutral," centering myself, listening to Teddy Bear's heartbeat and feeling her breathe.



Riding and focusing on the horse was a lot harder than it was with a saddle to balance on. Not even having a pad to help me stick, I had to focus more of my energy on balance, which I am far from perfect at, which you can see by her tail swish. And my waaay far forward leg, hah!



Here I am preparing, I think, to signal a turn.



I realized that I was not as balanced as I would liked to have though. There were moments, however, when I did not have to think so much about staying centered and balanced. I was able to do more steering than I had before. I was able to keep movement more consistent than before. I am still a novice rider, but I have improved!

And Teddy Bear is a VERY patient girl.

At the end of the riding lesson, I lost my balance and came off her. I landed on my feet and Bo decided that a good dismount, even if it wasn't ENTIRELY voluntary, was a good way to end the lesson for the day. Teddy Bear got to graze a lot.

Solomon spent some time in a stall/pen combo, next to Shin. Sol is the far horse, of course.



Shin is a wonderfully goofy horse. He's the one who will lie down and stare at his own butt in wonder when he farts.









And here is some more Teddy Bear.







No comments: