Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pleasant afternoon.

This morning I missed a big cattle sorting event because I had to show my house. We're looking for a housemate. :/

But I got to see my Solly! He is doing well. He called to me as soon as he spotted me way down the road. Today he was in an angelic mood. No misbehavior or resistance whatsoever.

Solomon got groomed and loved on, he got to do some roundpenning, and then I let him loose to graze around the ranch.

I told him "don't you go in that hay barn!" Of course he looked at me innocently- he only goes in when I've been in the house for a while and he thinks he can sneak a flake.

Today he just hung out with Lena, who was on the other side of the fence in the large mare pasture. He did come over to sniff me while I did my kata, however.

When it was time to put him away, I just walked over and gently tugged the bottom of his halter. Once we started moving, I let go and he just walked across the ranch with me. I opened the gate to his pasture and said "go on in," and that's exactly what he did. What a good boy!

No comments: