Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Solly and Sensei

Solomon is looking and feeling great!

It was way too hot to work my old man today, though he ended up wanting to trot all over the planet, with me in tow, haha. I let him, since exercise is good and I wondered where on earth he wanted to go... Apparently it was to this one patch of dead grass that looked like every other patch of dead grass!

Anyway, today Sensei got to come up with me. I was hoping to get a birthday ride in, but we weren't able to leave until late, and when it hits 106 or so, it starts getting a bit too hot for riding safely. The horses can handle it, but I can't stay rational.

Speaking of which, as a warning, I took my ambien a few minutes ago, so I apologize for any lack of coherence. I'll share about watching a young horse start her training another time.

So I decided I'd get sensei a little more engaged in things. It was time for him to pick up a bit of horsemanship. I used the "throw them in the water and see if they sink or swim" tactics a bit here, but it worked pretty well.

After we taped it, I explained making a space for the horse to go a bit, and not standing in front of a horse while trying to halter them when other horses are around.

But they both did so well! Solomon was very patient and good, Sensei followed directions carefully and was gentle with Sol.



SUCCESS! :D

Now for Solomon's condition:


Happy and relaxed,apparently; eating, standing weird because I'd picked his feet and not made him square up after. He gets some silly stances until he decide it's worth fixing them.




















No comments: