Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Solomon and the evil barbed pods of doom.

Hi folks!
So much to catch up on... I'm sorry I've taken so long to write! Life is crazy, like always.

First of all... I discovered the most evil plant ever, on the 21st of October.

Actually, Solomon discovered it. I don't know what it's called...

But they get THIS tangled up in the horse's manes and tails!



Those little Pods of Pure Evil have barbs in them. I had a couple of them embedded in my thumbs for a couple of weeks. I think I might even end up with a scar from them.

Solomon's poor beautiful tail...



See how displeased I look? Yeah, that was kind of a miserable day, hah! He had a ton in his forelock too. I was actually tempted to just cut it off, but then he wouldn't have his beautiful bangs any more! That was also the last time I wore those jeans... after these pictures were taken, I lost even more weight. Now they look like M.C. Hammer parachute pants, hah!



Do Not Want!



Bahahhaa



Solomon is really not a Glam Hoss





It took a good 2.5 hours and half a bottle of mane'n'tail to get those horrible things out.

They cut them down on their property, but the horses have access to the lower pasture on the neighbor's land too. It turns out there was a hidden thatch of them down by the creek.

Solly had some in his tail today too, but I didn't try to take them out. Didn't have time... sigh.

No comments: