Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Worming

Hi folks!

Okay, I've been HORRIBLE lately at updating. I'm so sorry! I have some lovely pics and vids for you however.

Just around Yule, Sensei and I went up to the ranch, bearing an apple and a tube of worming medication.

First, the apple.



I decided to be crazy and share... a trick Solomon and I have done many times before, except I hadn't taken into account the Maggie Factor.



Solly went for it a bit faster than I'm comfy with, haha! But of course he didn't hurt me.



And Maggie got some apple too.

Now, Solomon knew that something sinister was up right away!



I won't bother with the first attempt, except to say that Solomon really cannot be wormed in an open pasture without being tied. Just not gonna happen! Here's the second attempt, which was successful.



After he shunned me for a little while, Sol came back for more loves, and some reassurance.



And here is our lovely yule picture!



Sensei was happy to be out in the clean air, visiting with the horses. He might not have ever been a big time horse person, but let me tell you, the horses just adore him!







Sensei discovered Maggie's magic spot- under her chin and her cheeks!



Maggie has a winter mustache! It probably is meant to protect a horse's lip from the ice a bit. It's so cute!





No comments: