Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, November 14, 2008

*whew*
"Well," said the vet, "I COULD surgically repair him, but honestly if he were my horse I wouldn't bother. He's going to heal whatever you do. Just put neosporin on it. You can bandage if lightly if you'd like to keep the wound clean. And he'll be happier if you let him go back out to pasture."
So that is what I did.
He did his refusing to move thing when I started to take him past the cross-ties, because he knew that meant that I wasn't putting him away in his paddock (the one he hated being in and would kick the walls and bars of, mind you,) but the barn owner was there and she made some move along noises behind him while I coaxed him from the front, and he got going. I praised him for walking with me when he didn't want to, and sang the "walk" song, which helps him focus on me and on walking to the beat of the music. Sometimes singing is the only way to get him to get over something, hah.
So there was no more trouble, and he went into the pasture no problem, and let me take off his halter. He has his fly mask on- it's really hot and the flies are bad. In mid-November, I know, but hey, my tomato plants are still producing ripe tomatoes for me, so it's not all bad!
Also, he was very good for me. Almost no hesitation going into the wash-rack, which he HATES with a passion that burns like the fires of a thousand suns.
Also, the vet, bless his heart, didn't charge me anything, and gave me a lot of good advice.
Hmm, I wonder if any of the vets at the horse clinic would be willing to let me tag along for a day or two? I'd happily hold horses for them, and I'd love to learn more.

No comments: