Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crazy day escape mares.

I was putting magic back in her pasture. And I was dumb. I admit it! This was a dumb thing on my part. I latched the gate and looped the chain, but the chain didn't get hooked on with a clip. I walked Magic away from the gate and unhooked her so she could go drink, only to hear the distinctive screech of the gate swinging open. Horses are silent creatures much of the time, and nobody cheered, but the two mares took no time getting out of their pasture. Bad words ensued.
I yelled "no" at the exiting mare, who replied with a threat of double-barreling, or maybe she was saying "HEE HEEE I AM NAUGHTY!" wasn't aimed at me, could not have hit anyone. So.
So the first thing I did was close the gate to the front of the ranch. Don' want the horses getting loose down the road!
Then I called DeDe and she helped me go get the mares. They ran to their special hand grazing spot, and Solomon ran to his. Hah.

They let us catch them once they were happily eating grass, and the mares went into the pen. I got shown how to latch that particular gate. Crises averted, no one hurt, horses got some excitement. I am such a dork.

1 comment:

王周宏儒 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.