Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A moment of joy.

I had a moment of joy this morning when I went into Solly's pasture, which he shares with Shorty and the Little Bay Gelding.

All three horses were so fascinated with the gate that Sol extraction wasn't immediately possible... so I decided to just give them something more interesting to do. I started walking away. LBG followed, curious as to where I was going. I started running, and he chased me. We went around a tree, and back and forth... then I made a run for it across the pasture! tumpthump thumpthump thumpthump, three horses were trotting after me. Ears perked, not threatening at all. I could feel them trailing along with me, like there were strings tied between them and I. I thought "this might be seen as dangerous by some," and surely it was potentially dangerous. But I know these horses.
Then ran around the pasture with me, respectfully giving me lead, though LBG got excited a time or two and didn't keep strictly in line. We ran around and then I suddenly stopped, and looked back. They all stopped right with me. Many "what was that? It was fun!" nose blows and sniffs later, I extricated myself from the grows and let them thing about what that excitement was while my more sensible old man followed me to the gate, to be let out.

I don't want to talk about what came after just yet. Maybe in a while. For now, just little fragments.

No comments: