Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

2008- 2011

I just had Solly's teeth done again. There was a vet with the dentist this time. She said that Solomon is in excellent condition, amazing for his age, and that I must be doing everything right!



From November:

Here they are running to the "people-meeting place."




Getting belly skritches:



Visiting with me:



Solomon really loves to "snuggle" like this. He'll put his nose on me, let me rub his face or cradle his head, and fall sound asleep, snoring away like the happy old man he is. Man, look how cresty his neck is, hah! But this is going to be a cold winter, I can feel it... he will need the extra fat. I also got him a blanket this year, just for really cold winter nights, as he is a bit too hold to keep his weight up when it gets really cold.



He really looks like a wise old man, doesn't he? I'm not Christian, but Solomon suits him all the same. The vet said she'd never met a horse named Solomon before, but said "he looks really wise, it feels like the right name for him."




Solomon says that William could use a bit of grooming. Haha, I remember a friend saying "that horse is gonna bite you and you're gonna get really hurt, letting him get so close and personal!" Yeah not so much, heh! He is relaxed and calm and because we trust him and know he's a good boy, he trusts us! As for kids- he would never willingly hurt a baby of any species.


I miss him a lot, since I can only visit him a couple times a month, at the most. I think he misses me too. He has his eyes on me from the moment I show up to the moment I leave, even watching the car drive away. It always breaks my heart to leave him, but he's there because it's the best, happiest place for him to be. And that's what's really important.



He did take a moment to check out Sensei's butt though, lol!



Haha, Solomon in his happy place. "Yay, my nose cushions!"



He heals my heart.



My noble beast, who fought off a giant black warmblood stallion a few days before these photos were shot. So far, Maggie appears to not be pregnant. Go Sol!



Even if he does have the occasional spats with his lady.





He knows what's up.









LOL, he's saying something to Charlie Horse the pony.



*nuzzle love*



Spot the hoss!



A storm begins to rise



A hawk, watching for prey



A rainbow over Pope Valley

No comments: