Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Wet face, happy horse!

I got to see my baby twice this month!
Sensei and I went out to the pasture, to bring up some grain, some wormer, and money for the farrier. Solomon's hoof trim was Sensei's Yule gift for me this year!


When we got there, we saw Maggie and Breaker's people riding their horses back to their trailer. Running alongside them was none other than my boy, Solomon.



See how wet his face is? According to Maggie's people, Solomon loves to tag along when they go on trail rides. I'm glad they've decided that's fine, since when they try to stop him coming along, he just bashes down the gate and follows them anyway, heh.
So they went down to the creek, which they tell me Solomon loves to play in. He gets right into the middle, in the deepest part of the water, and splashes around, pawing it to soak his belly. Then he sticks his ENTIRE head under water and shakes it around, haha!

I'm so very happy to see Solomon so full of life. Playfulness is a sign of an emotionally healthy horse. He really did seem to be quite happy, too. Ears perked, tail flagging... he looked like he was 5 years old instead of 29!

After so much time being tied to the trailer at Bo's ranch for treats and pampering, Solomon will happily stand at the trailer with no tie. He put himself in alongside Maggie, hoping to get a share in the treats... which he totally did, haha!



He's sly that way.


"I went along for the ride, right? So I get treats too?" I thanked Maggie and Breaker's mom and dad for exercising my horse for me, haha!


After the horses were untacked, their people let them go. First breaker:





Then Maggie, that wonderful, love-bug, goofy horse.


Then everybody had to have a nice roll.







And then Solomon showed me just how fast he was capable of running still, which was pretty amazingly fast. I wasn't able to get a clear picture. I think the thunderous fart he let loose when he started really gave him that extra burst of speed, haha!



Once everybody had calmed down, and got fed, I gave Solomon his spa treatment. Hey, like my new weave?


(let's just not think about why his tail is so stained, okay?)

I know I spam you all with a million and one pictures of Solomon, but I am so in love with his pretty face!



Haha, I'm a dirty girl.


Maggie is secretly wrought of flame.


Breaker, looking pretty but being standoffish. If I lived in the area, I'd bring him around!


Since Charley is on an all-mash diet now, he gets to eat mash out of a wheelbarrow, heh. Solomon went to make sure there were no crumbs left.


Of course, when he cleaned it off, he flipped the thing over with his nose. He's a gentleman like that. Here he is, looking like he's the proudest stallion in Pope Valley, haha!


Or maybe he's just proud of knocking over that wheelbarrow. But then again, he did fight off that giant black Hanoverian stallion last month. That's pretty impressive stuff for an ancient gelding!


Sensei was much loved by the horses.


D'awwwwh!








After a while, Sensei's back started to bug him, so he went and laid down in the car. I brushed down Maggie and Solomon. Charley was feeling cranky about getting touched, so I left him be, and Breaker still won't let me near him, which is an issue I didn't try to push.

Solomon happily lowered his head until his ears were below the level of my chin, and dozed off, making happy sighing noises while I stroked his face and gently scratched under his chin. It's a little ritual the two of us follow every time I visit now. I am his safe harbor, and he is mine. Our lives might not intersect nearly as much as they used to, to my great loss, but he is still my boy, and it's worth it to see him so very healthy and happy. He always has love to give to me, though, and time as well.

So proud of my boy. His health is great, his feet are trimmed, he's likely wormed by now, he has probiotics and senior feed, nicely-floated teeth, and he has gained a bit more weight, so he is going into winter in excellent shape! The grass is starting to really come in, and everything is going well. There's a blanket waiting for him when it gets cold enough, and I suspect that he will have a very happy year.

I am so very, very full of love and gratitude.

No comments: