Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Cold, quiet day.

Today was cold and quiet.
On the drive over I spotted some llamas in a vineyard!





I'd seen them way up on the hillside on the other side of a fence before, and decided that they must be llamas and not cows. Looks like I was right. Not sure if they were supposed to be in that vineyard or not, but people can get a little edgy about other people showing up at their door without an invitation here, and the llamas were just eating the grass, so I figured they were fine.

They fed the pasture horses 15 minutes early. Well shoot. Here we have some pasture politics in action:



Solly is the one running away but kicking. I JUST missed the buck, darn it.

Once in, we had an exciting adventure! Actually no we didn't. Solomon got fed in his paddock, I brushed him, and he ate his food. After a long long while (he is such a slow eater) there was a whinny that Solomon immediately raised his head at. I moseyed over to the cross ties and yep, it was Venus! I chatted with Venus' momma for a while, and then she took her in for the night, passing Solly on the way:



Awwwh! <3
Of course it'd be sweeter if there hadn't been nipping a moment later, but oh well.

When I took Solly out of his paddock, he swung the gate open with his nose. He loves messing with things with his head and mouth. When we exited the paddock, I turned him around and asked "hey Solly, want to close the gate?" Being my horse, he closed it, hah!

It was so cold that I wrapped one of his blankets around me while he ate. It smelled sweet.

No comments: