Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Showing off: when your horse doesn't do what you say he will!

Well, actually he was pretty good.

I think his mouth was too full, haha, and I was trying to film while I did it, so I wasn't focused well... though he knew better than to take that step back!

You can see that he has a harder time stretching his neck back on his right side than on his left side. You don't really see him rocking forward on his toes during the "bow" which he is supposed to do, and which he did do before I filmed, and maybe at the end there, heh.

Today was a beautiful spring day. Not a cloud in the sky. Unfortunately, it's still winter, and I'm almost certain now that we will have bad fires in the summer.

Still, a lovely calming day. Solomon came in without bribes at all (I forgot to bring the grain scoop with me) and was a well-behaved boy all the way around today, until it was time to stop the hand-grazing. Then he got mad and tossed his head a lot. I put an end to that right quick. Hand grazing is a privilege, NOT a right, and if he doesn't do as I say, he doesn't get to do it. Still, I like to do it every day that I can. The green grass won't last forever. By the time summer rolls around it will all be dead. It's a good way to bond, too. So long as he remembers to mind me.

His bite is healing well. Every day I find some new ding, but nothing serious lately. Maybe he is finally learning to not hurt himself in the pasture, knock on wood!

Back out in the pasture I watched him take bites from three different piles of hay before settling on a fourth flake. He was picking it up and tossing it around to loosen it up. Then he tripped on it and almost fell down. Yeah that's my horse. Later on in the evening, I tripped on absolutely nothing at all and turned my ankle. We're quite a pair.

He might have lost Venus to Kyrie, the new horse who had a partial body clip. Body clips look so weird to me! Kyrie is a big guy and very strong. He was by the gate for a long time before settling in, but now he has and he is a rather dominant horse. We'll see if he has really lost her though.

Bobby, who is still a teenager, came and tried to steal my skirt. A little later on, Venus also tried to nibble on my skirt, though she was more delicate and polite about it. I should really not laugh when they do stuff like this, but I can't help it!

Out in the pasture it was so peaceful. Horses and deer. Blackbirds singing, crows cawing. A single hawk, soaring in the sky. I found out that Brigit the sweet little old dog had to be put down. She had a big tumor and was going downhill fast. It was so sudden. My poor barn owner is very sad. I gave her a hug.

I thought I had a photograph of Brigit but I don't. I'm sad about this. I wanted to make a little memorial painting for the BO, but I don't have a photo to work off. :(

Brigit is buried on the way to the memorial grove. There was a brightly colored potted flower over her grave. I think that she would be happy about it. It's a nice spot.

No comments: