Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Finally made it back

My back is still really messed up, but today I was able to put on a pair of pants by myself, so I figured it was time to head back to the ranch.

Anyway I owed board and I missed Solomon, Bo, and DeDe.

It took me half the day to get ready, but get ready I did, because I knew that if I didn't start walking again, and soon, I'd never be able to.

I apologize in advance... I didn't get a lot of pictures today, and I can't sit for a long time so this isn't going to be very long, but I wanted to let you all know that I'm still kicking.

Some exciting things happened while I was out of commission.

First off, the main herd got out Saturday night sometime. I think it must have been my fault. Nobody is 100% sure, but I think that I must have THOUGHT I latched the gate all the way, but didn't quite. Somebody stuck their head through the gate and pulled it open, somebody tried to squeeze out, and a post got busted. Horses running around all over the ranch. Thank the gods I double-checked the front gate. It could have been a major tragedy. As it is, I screwed up big time, and I'm pretty good at kicking myself for things like this. But at least I'll be triply careful with gate latches from now on. I have a feeling it's going to be a paranoia of mine. That part isn't a bad thing. I'm just glad no one was badly hurt.

Then there was a fire! The hills on the back of the property burned. It got out and the horses were all fine. But this is my least favorite time of the year in California. It's so scary. I'm so glad they clear brush at the ranch! I'm told the top of the hill looks like the surface of the moon. I never did manage to go all the way up there. Now it's a wasteland. Welcome to sunny California! You folks in colder climes should hug your miserable cold icy snow next winter. I find myself looking forward to the awful mud we'll get with the rains! At least mud doesn't suddenly burst into flames.

Poor Bo and DeDe. Crazy loose horses and then fire. Both when they were away from the ranch. If you ever wonder why it's hard to get your horse friends to go out, it's because things explode when they do. Even good intentions can lead to disaster. Someone at a boarding barn gives a treat to a horse and she colics. All kinds of stuff. Eep.

I had to ask for a ride up to Solomon's pasture. I had to ask Bo to pull him out for me. Be proud of me- I used to be so stubborn that I would have tried to pull Solomon out by myself, and ended up in a wreck because Leo and Poco Joe both ran for the gate. Solomon ran off and had to be gathered up again. He said "no, it isn't worth getting beat up over!" And then when he ran I think he was worried that he was in trouble. But he did let himself get picked up again like a good boy. This time the two other boys were chased off the gate with more enthusiasm, hah. Solomon slipped through nice and quick, because his hide was at stake and he has learned to behave while exiting his pasture.

They'd been playing a little rough though, and Solomon had lost a little weight, so he's in a stall with a large paddock- one of the 100 foot long ones. I managed to walk him from his pasture to his stall, which I'm proud of considering the fact that I've spent most of this week needing someone to help me roll over in bed. Go me! Solomon got hugs, and then he entertained himself by going into the stall and then coming back out again. That wore off quickly, and he (not very subtly) shoved at the gate with his head, but two flakes of hay and a supplement bucket helped him cope pretty well. I sat on the ground and let Solomon drop food on me (a favorite pastime of his) until DeDe drove the mule over to pick me up again.

Bo and DeDe were nice and chatted with me for a good long while. I think they could tell I was feeling pretty down. Thanks guys!

On the drive home the lake was glassy and still, mirroring the bright orange and pink port wine sunset almost perfectly. It's good to be alive.

No comments: