Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Good news about Solomon!

The farrier said that Solomon's feet looked great, with no sign of thrush now. He said his concavity was actually nice, and he was just growing out and shedding his summer sole and frog, which makes things look bad... plus his feet grow fast, so by the end of the 6 week cycle they are very obviously due.
It was fun bantering with the two farriers, Grant and Roberto. They're not only very skilled, they're also very funny guys. Roberto the Italian Stallion is single, by the way, ladies. I would have gotten a picture of him today, but my camera will no longer turn on. Shoot. Sorry folks, looks like no photos for a couple months. The plus side is that if I get a camera for Christmas, it'll probably be nicer than the one I have now.

Of course, anything is nicer than a silver brick that won't turn on, hah.

Anyway, Solomon worked hard in the roundpen after his trim, and he clearly felt great. He was very lively and hardly pinned his ears at all when cantering. He'll often make at least a bit of a grumpy face, and I think his hips get a bit stiff, but overall he's looking okay. He worked up a sweat again, go Solly! There's a gorgeous new lunge whip to use now too... it's a pretty blue and it has a very nice whoosh and snap to it. Not that I need to use a lot of energy with Solly at this point- we're pretty in tune to each other in the roundpen.

I also really brushed his tail out today. This is a pretty major production, as it drags on the ground and is pretty full. His hair is finer in general than the hair of the other horses at the ranch. Maybe because he's a grey? Or maybe it's his breeding. It tangles really easily and it breaks really easily. So while Grant and Roberto were working on the fronts of a couple other horses, I soaked his mane and tail in Cowboy Magic and brushed them out. His tail looked so nice by the time I was done, and it was a lot fuller than I'd realized. He looked like a fairy tale horse. Then he farted in my face.

Good old Solomon.

<3

No comments: