Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mud seasn begins!

Hi folks!
I will, unfortunately, not be able to go up to the ranch until Thursday.
But last night was the start of the first real storm of the season! It is no longer fire season. It is now mud season. We may get little bits of green grass here and there, if we get more storms.
Horse's hooves change, this time of year. They get softer. Their summer frogs shed and their winter frogs grow in. Foot health becomes a much bigger deal. In storms with torrential downfalls, the horses are in pens. This is when all that planning involving grading and rocking comes into play.
The wind howls, the tarps over hay bales must be pinned down, and Bo informs me that I should look into muck boots and a rain slicker. I can see about getting some in a couple of weeks!
Stay safe out there today, everyone. And remember to drive especially carefully in the first storm of the season, as all that oil is coming up on the road, and people are dumb in the rain.

No comments: