Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another picture spam!

Hi folks, I'm still hanging in there.

I got some nice photos on the last long day I spent at the ranch, and I'm going to share them with you. Here we have N___ on her gorgeous horse Pooh Bear, who was born and raised here at D&D Ranch. We also have Bo riding Vinnie with a halter and lead rope. Vinnie doesn't like to have his head down, but that will be worked on.







Solomon watches from the Patience Tree.





I really like this one.













Still working on that patience.


DeDe and K___




DeDe on Dually? Dewley? Bo, how do you spell that? Anyway she's doing a reining spin.


And now, my ride on Teddy Bear! Okay, a few things... I didn't think about my shoes. I should have put on my riding boots, heh. I'm so used to it not mattering because I ride bareback. Second of all, Teddy Bear is a saintly horse. Also a LOT more sensitive than Kizim. Whereas I always squeezed Kizim with my thighs to hold on to her back, squeezing Teddy Bear with my thighs tells her to move faster. Soooo we worked on a lot of walk-trot transitions. K___ is the one who noticed that I was making her break into a trot with my thighs. I just had a lead rope hooked to one side, and when things got kind of high energy, with her trotting and all, i tended to raise my arms up high. Something to work on! Also those stirrups, for some reason I was having a hard time keeping my feet in them and under my hip. It felt like they were a million miles forward. I have a lot of muscle to work on. And maybe the stirrups slid forward a bit, or we haven't figured out the right length for my legs yet.
Overall, however, I feel like I learned a lot, and while I was all stormy and in a dark mood before the ride, in the end I was smiling and excited, which helped me so much in these challenging times I cannot even express it. So thank you, Bo and DeDe, and thank you Teddy Bear.







Go forth, noble steed... to the right.


Whuh-oh


Aiyee


I was trying to hard to project calm and get her to walk instead of trot... without realizing that it was my THIGHS.




Okay okay we got this.


A sedate moment.


Aaaand here we go again! Teddy Bear must have been so confused. "she asks me to trot, she asks me to walk, she asks me to trot while saying the word "walk," waaaat?"


K___ took all these shots of me on Teddy Bear, and the one of DeDe doing the reining spin. But this is my favorite, of hte photos she took.


I am stirrup-challenged.


But look, SMILING!


Thank you so much, sweet mare-mare.






8 comments:

Maggie--Mae said...

WOW! You are looking great!

Did Kizim get sold?

Evergrey said...

Thank you!

Yes, she did. I don't have the heart to write about it yet.

Evergrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie--Mae said...

Awww, I know you will miss her.

I hope she has a wonderful new home!

nccatnip said...

Looking good, girlfriend!!!! I am proud of you.

ariemay said...

Good luck to Kizim. I just want to say that you are looking great. I pinkie swear I will spend a day with you and DD if you'll have me once this cursed rain stops.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Evergrey said...

Of course we would both love to have you up to visit sometime!

And thank you all for your kind words. :}