Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Camera again!

Hi folks!

Sorry for the long delay, things have been chaotic lately.

But I have a camera again! A much nicer one than I had before.

When I got back from my vacation, Solomon was so excited to see me.





"OMG MOM MOM MOM!"



I swear to you that he is smiling here.



He came over to give me loves, then went towards the gate, which he's used to me letting him out of. There was a riding lesson in progress out there, however, so he didn't get out right away.

This video isn't the most exciting, but there IS Kizim tongue. :D



Here is DeDe On Dewley. Dooley? I am not sure how his name is spelled. He is one of the most facially expressive horses I've ever met. Quite a nice quarterhorse, really.



Solomon begged me to let him out by swinging his head back and forth in front of the gate, low to the ground. It didn't quite seem to be a variation of weaving... it's more that he was just trying to communicate to me how very badly he wanted to come out and graze. It was also really funny looking.



I let Sol out, and Remmy just missed it.





Kizim is still big, but really has come to look like a normal horse. She loves being out in that big pasture, and harmony has more or less settled in to the herd. Solomon apparently told her enough was enough a couple of times, and Kizim has come to accept him.



Actually, the day before yesterday she was in heat big time and trying her best to get his attention. He was not impressed. Poor, rejected girl!

Sissy and I think Remmy, hanging out in the pasture.



This camera is so amazing. I snapped this shot while Solomon was grazing, which involves a lot of head-jerking as he rips the grass form it's stems.



Of course, Kizim felt that if Solly got to eat the long grass on the other side of the fence, she should be able to as well. They both seemed pretty comfortable with this.







When I walked away from the pasture, I heard a snort behind me and found that Solly was following me like a lost puppy. I guess he really missed me! He got some Yule horse cookies.

When it was time for him to go back in, I only had to lead him with a halter a little bit, and then I just opened the gate and called him in. He was a smart enough boy to understand that it was time for him to go back in after his little break.

The day before yesterday when I went to let him back in, Remmy blocked the way, and he just waited patiently at the gate until I worked it out. Working it out eventually involved tossing a handful of loose hay over the fence a ways away from the gate, which the herd had to go investigate. Then I just opened it and Sol went in.

I believe Dewley is Magic's son. Here they are, Dewley and Magic, ridden by Bo and DeDe. Aren't they a great couple?





These are some of the best people you could be lucky enough to meet, folks.

So Bo had me pull Kizim out, and after grooming her I decided to try hopping on for a bit in the roundpen. We did okay in there, and Bo had us come out of the pen with the goal of going to the tree, circling around it once, and going back to the roundpen without stopping.

Well, we made it to the tree! And with some struggling, we managed a few circles around the tree. But I still have a long ways to go when it comes to balancing and giving very clear cues, so when I lost focus for just a split second, she'd drop her head to graze. I just had her in a halter and lead rope, and I did my best to keep her head up, but she was too strong and I still have a long ways to go with my riding, like I said. So at one point she thrust her head down and I went down with her, slipping down her neck like a thick shaggy slide. Landed on my feet, and that's not the worst way to come off a horse, really!

So I hand-walked her back to the roundpen and then got on her. I spent a lot of time just sitting on her back, feeling the horse under me and learning to be centered and balanced. I got her to turn and take a few calm steps for me before I dismounted.

Overall, it was a grerat day, wonderful to see my boy again, wonderful to work on my riding again. The day before yesterday I just cuddled Solly, pretty much, and then got to hear some stories from Bo about flying and airport security. Crazy stuff happens on planes, hah.

Anyway I apologize for the long delay, and I hop you all enjoyed the pictures and update!

1 comment:

ariemay said...

Happy New Year!

You and Sol and Kiz are all looking great!