Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Good day with the vet

Today the other vet came out to see Solomon. It was vaccination day, but as it turns out he got EVERYTHING in August, so the vet said to just wait until March. Good news for the savings account. No charge for taking out the sutures. :D
Solomon was SUCH a good boy for the vet. He stood nice and still while the vet pulled out his eye and leg sutures. He was very gentle. The vet showed me the black spot on his thumbnail where Solly bit him this summer- it's slowly growing out. Thankfully Solomon was in a very good mood today.
The wounds look so amazingly good. Sorry I didn't get a picture today. But they have improved a lot just since the other day. Solomon is to wear a leg bandage for another 3 or 4 days, and then it can come off... though I think I'll re-bandage lightly when we do supervised turn-out.
The supervised turn-out can't happen for another week. Going back to pasture is three weeks from now at least. Arrrgh. My horse is going to go insane.
I asked the vet about his front leg, to see if he thought he should get an ultrasound, and the vet picked his other front leg up. Solomon didn't struggle or flinch or anything. Heh. The vet said "let's not be premature, let's get him healed from this injury first."
After the vet left, one of the guys filled in the puddle in the back of Solomon's paddock, so I decided to soak and scrub his feet. I filled a grain pan with water and a bit of soap and thought, well, I can only try, right?
So I slid the pan next to Solly's foot and picked it, then slid the pan under his foot and told him to put it down. He did! On the first one he tried to pull his foot out after a moment, but I just told him "no" and "stand" and he stood still for it. I got the first three feet really well scrubbed, but by the 4th one he decided he was SO done. Heh. Well, they are a lot cleaner than they were anyway. The yellow hoof is now yellow again, though he has probably gotten it muddy again since I left.
So after his hooves got scrubbed we took a walk. Wow, he was an angel. NO misbehavior the entire time. I was really amazed. Maybe there's something to this "going out in the morning" thing...

No comments: