Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

You take one down, pass it around, 99 tubes full of bute on the wall!

So today Solly was mostly a good boy. He even ate his bute powder on his senior feed without any drama. I keep finding more nicks on him- I think some are new, from him trying to knock down his paddock walls. Removed another driveway worth of cravel from his feet. Snuck in some extra dirt and put it on top of the mud. Swept out his stall. Curried a sweater worth of hair off him. Ointment in all the appropriate places. Fed him his meds, mixed up his meds for the morning. Gave him head skirtches. Chatted with horse people.
I took him out for a hand-walk again today. He was an angel going out. Stopped immeidately when I stopped, didn't even have to say whoa. He was really watchign me carefully.
HOWEVER
When I turned us around instead of going to the pasture, he was NOT a happy camper. He even bumped into me. I ended up holding the lead rope up over my head and letting him go in circles around me every time he tried to turn around to go to his pasture. He could see his herd. I'd take him a different direction but it's really the only way to go, sicne his paddock as at the very end of the property. I was telling him that we were going back to the paddock whether he wanted it or not. Heh. Halfway back tot he barn he gave up and was a good boy again. He misses his herd and his freedom. Don't worry old guy, you'll go back in a couple of weeks.
It's almost been a week already. Crazy. Tomorrow he'll get his leg re-wrapped. It'll be my first time doing it myself. I think I can do it just fine. Lots of people willing to help if not.

No comments: