Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Solomon REALLY needs to get turn out soon. Tomorrow I hope the sutures will come out, and I hope he'll be allowed to at least have supervised turn-out.
He has one wall in his pipe paddock, one wooden one I mean. It has pipes too, but he has been kicking the hell out of that wall. There are marks that go as high as the top of my head. Apparently he's been trying to break through out of frustration.
We walked the furthest ever since the injury today. A deer spooked in front of us, and Solly spooked, but was mostly okay. Tried to pull ahead a lot, and once or twice started walking again after a whoa, but he wasn't unmanageable. Without the stud chain it might have been another story, I don't know.
I found out that some horses on stall rest just get violent. One of the other boarders was telling her friend that her horse tried to kick her with both back feet when he was on stall rest. They go nuts if they are used to freedom.
He's been stuck in a pen for two weeks now, and while he's still a kind horse, he is also a very bored horse. The BO thinks that he would be a great horse for learning to do little tricks, heh. Well sure, why not? He's smart and people oriented and very very food motivated.
He smacked me in the boob today. Another thing he hadn't done in months. was reprimanded but probably not firmly enough. I couldn't help laughing. He did it right in front of my friend. Her eyes got really big, haha. I mean he smacked me in the chin with my own breast.
Sigh.
So yeah tomorrow I'll ask the vet when I can turn him out and when he can go back to his beloved herd and pasture. And I'll see about getting his leg x-rayed. He didn't struggle at all when his hooves were picked. But he does it often enough. I just want to be sure.
he got a massage from my friend. He got some grain, and a walk, hoof picking and extra brushing. His toy on it's rope is hanging a lot lower than it was. I guess he has been playing with it, or someone has!

No comments: