Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rollin' rollin' rollin'

Grooming went fine except that he, as it turns out, had this on his butt:

Some other horse probably went om nom nom on him.
I did the leg stretches that ladygzb showed me, and then we did our carrot stretches, which Solly did with quite a bit of enthusiasm. I need to vet a video of that sometime. It's pretty amusing.
Three irritating little souls went to Tickhalla after an epic battle between Solly's teeth, my fingers, and a hoof pick against a rock.
After that, we did some nice hand-grazing. The grass is very lush right now, but folks are worried. The talk around the barn today was that the weather is gorgeous but if we don't get a lot more rain soon, everything will burn in the summer. It is a terrifying prospect. So many horses and homes are lost, in grassland, chaparell, and forest. The drought was bad last year. This year it could be even worse.
Anyway, after Solomon's grazing fun time, I decided that we would push a boundary a bit. Time to *GASP* walk across the property! OH NOES! Two trees that were blocking the view on either side of the bridle path were cause for concern, but we got through, with a bit of snorting.
Once we got into the parking lot that heads towards the covered arena, though, it was "I'm really a mule" time. Many chances were given, and then it was stud chain time. Only took a little bit of persuading then. We walked to the covered arena and stood in the doorway, watching the dressage horses do fancy stuff. We stayed there until he stopped impersonating a griaffe. About when he relaxed was when the feed truck drove in to pick up hay, so I took off the chain and we walked back across the lot. Then we turned around again.
Oh how evil I am, according to my horse. We walked ALL THE WAY BACK to the covered arena! This time I used the lead rope, looped over his nose like an insta-bosal. No pulling or pressure, he knows what that is and he yields to it immediately. Maybe I should try a real one for riding.
After we walked back to the covered arena a second time, I let him eat a bit of hay that had fallen off the truck. I like to try to end anything we do on a positive note if I can. Then it was back to the cross-ties. Oh he was not entirely pleased with that. He wanted to go back to his pasture. I know, his life is SO hard. Then he got tick sprayed. Oh wow does he hate that. Even made some nasty faces and cocked a back leg while I was back-brushing his hair to spray it. Oh no you don't, hoss. This is not hurting you.
So the walk back to the pasture was mellow, and then I took the video. :)

No comments: