Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A visit to a ranch. :D

So I'm back, and wow they are SO NICE! I had a wonderful time! I cried a little when I saw the pictures of myself (I still picture myself in my mind as I was before the back injury, when I was an athlete, but oh well) but his horses are so cute. This QH is 3 and way better behaved than Solomon, heh. I learned a lot while I was there, ddranch is really amazing with horses. His wife is so sweet too, and took the photos. Which I'm scared to post, but ah well. The saddle was 16", waaay too small a seat for my ass, but the horse did not seem to care. He really was a good boy. Me? I do not have the riding a reining horse thing down at all, heh, but he was pretty patient with me. For me the constant light tapping with the legs combined with the posture and hip movements for riding was like patting one's head and rubbing one's belly while walking backwards at the same time. With more practice I could prolly do it right and not mess up my timing, heh.

So, here are some pictures! I had a great time. Isn't he a cute horse?

This is one chill horse, even with my butt spilling over the candle, heh.


Trotting- he did fine, I... need to learn. And get those muscles stronger. And figure out just which muscles to use, heh!


I officially do not know what to do with my arms if I am not holding something while on a horse. I was just thinking "help the horse balance" here. Haha, my arms are crazy. And I prolly didn't need to lean back THAT much. But it was fun going over a log, over a streambed, and up and down an embankment.


Jeez I'm really critical of myself, heh.

Okay.
Out and about:




AWWWWH


So if you ever get a chance to visit ddranch and his wife, take it, they are awesome. I hope I can go back sometime.

No comments: