Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yet another saddle fit question.

Hey hey again folks...
I need to get an English girth. The billets were really flexible and just pressing on them a moment wrapped them around him near the bottom there. And this one I *think* really is a dressage saddle? Anyway, he squealed and jumped a number of times when I touched him with the saddle or put it on his back, but this time I am not sure I believe him. That's not to say I know whether it FITS or not, but I don't think it was hurting him. I think it's his new "hey if I do this I don't have to work" tactic.
So! Here are some angles. What do you think? I felt underneath and it doesn't bridge, nor does it SEEM to pinch anywhere, but I have been wrong before.



All that clearance over his spine... bad?

2 comments:

MaggieMae said...

Yes, that is a true dressage saddle. However, I think you need to pull it back a bit off of his shoulder. Your goal should be for the seat to be as close to flat and level as possible. The high clearance could be caused by the saddle being too narrow, but I am not an expert at all.

As for the squealing, he is smart and is learning that if he fusses you will stop. I love a smart horse, that is what has enabled him to survive this long and live through his experiences.

I am really enjoying following the two of you.

Evergrey said...

Awh I am glad you are enjoying the read! :D

He is very smart and I enjoy it even though sometimes he can really frustrate me, heh. He is such a love that he makes up for it all.

People have told me that the stirrups are in too ewird of a palce, and it will give em a chair seat. Hm, I think the saddle is totally off his shoulder actually, I was worried it was a little far back, but I put it behind all the shoulder stuff. Not sure though. I wish I had a saddle expert who could come out and help!