Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Picture spam day

Well today Bo had to mill some lumber, so I was left to my own devices. I, of course, took an ungodly amount of pictures and videos.

Solomon had his picture taken by one of the people at the ranch for the log milling. I tell you what, these people were very excited about milling this log. They brought their extended family, and their friends and their extended family, haha! Well, enthusiasm for life is a good thing, eh?

The baby was lying down, and she let me get really close.





Okay, just TRY to not be blown over by the cute:



Solomon got tied at his usual spot by the trailer, and he wanted so badly to go sniff that foal. He nickered to her, but she would only get so close.

I swear he was trying to reach her with the tips of his ears!



After I groomed Solomon, I just let him go. The farrier couldn't come out this week, so he doesn't get shoes until next week. I don't want to work him until they are on.

Solomon got his pan of feed, and he let me hose him off while he ate. Baths are no big deal if there's some LMF Senior to nom.

Then he just got to be a horse.



Teddy Bear came right up to the gate to say hello. That was a nice feeling. :)



I just love horse noses and lips! They are so funny looking.



Teddy Bear wiggled her lip back and forth on me, but did not nip. Good girl!

Teddy and her pasture companion, whose name starts with L... Shoot, what is her name? I'll have to ask again. I'm terrible with names, though I'm better with horse names than human names!



Okay, okay, I'm really enamored with this baby, even though she was spinning and kicking at me today... she also kept running over to say hi! And she let me pet her too.





She isn't really swallowing grass yet I don't think, but she sure does like mouthing it, like her momma.



Aaaand action!



It was windy today, and the clouds came in. Solomon came up to me to say hi, which was nice. Usually I have to go to him when I have turned him out on the grass... not that I blame him. Green grass and freedom- not a bad deal.







At the end of the day, putting Solomon away was like pulling teeth. He was hanging out near Magic and the baby, and he did NOT want to leave. He's really interested in that foal, and I think Magic is in heat too. Solomon had a little altercation with Vinnie through the fence when she trotted by the other day. Today when I was walking him back (without the lead rope, which I picked up halfway back tot he pasture) he broke away from me and went into the paddock that Magic and her baby stay in at night. He was sniffing and grimacing, sniffing and grimacing. Solomon you are a gelding!



I got to help out with feeding at the end of the day. I am kind of a freak in that I really enjoy manual labor. I often can't do it these days, but I'm so much better than I was right after the surgery, and the individual hay flakes are light. I got a bunch of scratchy oat hay in my bra, but it was worth it. Feeding horses is fun! At least when the weather is nice, as it was today.

So, the horses and I didn't really do any work today. I ran around a little bit (!!) and tried to get Solomon to play, but he wasn't so into that. The foal, on the other hand, wanted to play a little more rough than I was willing to. Hah. Well, ultimately everyone was happy, and that's the important part.

No comments: