Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Well...

I might never really know where he was born.
I've been stonewalled, and the last known owner and her horse dealer friend got mad when I asked more about where he came from. "You've hit a dead end and you need to stop," I was told. Eep.

Well anyway, I did learn some more stuff about Solomon, if what I was told about his behavior is to be believed, and it is in line with him and what we have discovered about him.

He was holding his head high back then.
He was used for barrel racing and a bit of dressage.
His earliest known owner says he would whoa and back.
She also said he ran away with her a few times and was very strong-headed.
She said he struck at her when she was first trying to lunge him.
She said that she taught him to do a bunch of groundwork and lunging using Clinton Anderson techniques.
She said he had that injury on his rear leg and that it had calcifications, but the vet found that it was not affecting him negatively. She said it was probably barbed wire.
She said he was a thoroughbred or TB appendix.
She used a bungee to get him to "put his head down and curl his neck." She said she'd worked with him to get him to bend.
His barn name was Dillon. Solomon might have been in his degistered name. Then later she said he wasn't registered.

She said she bought him from someplace in Sacramento, but that she didn't remember where or from who or how she found him, what part of the Sacramento area he was from, or anything, but that she went back a few months later to "confront the woman who sold her a crazy horse" and that the business was gone. She also said she threw her sale papers out a few weeks ago. Heh, I don't think I'll get any more information out of her. When I left a message with the horse dealer who had sold Solomon for her, asking in a friendly way if she might happen to remember anything about where the earliest known owner had gotten her form (they are friends of long standing apparently) she did not call me back, but instead called back the EKO, who called and yelled at me. Alrighty then.

So, I may never know who he was or what he did before them.
Who his sire and dam were.
What his exact breeding was.
What he'd been trained in before that.
Who bred him.
If there is anyone out there, wondering where he was or if he was okay, wishing they could find him and bring him home.
If I write a book about him, I might not be able to tell it from the beginning to the end.

BUT.

He is safe now.
He is loved.
He is well taken care of.
He has enough to eat, he has horses to run around with, he gets his shots, his feet done, his teeth floated, and his coat brushed.
He is in a Good Place with good people.
He has a clean place to stand, and to lie down on, and plenty of room to run.
He is learning and being trained, but he is not being beaten or abused, and he is not being asked to do much, really.

So I will have to content myself with that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"He is safe now.
He is loved.
He is well taken care of.
He has enough to eat, he has horses to run around with, he gets his shots, his feet done, his teeth floated, and his coat brushed.
He is in a Good Place with good people.
He has a clean place to stand, and to lie down on, and plenty of room to run.
He is learning and being trained, but he is not being beaten or abused, and he is not being asked to do much, really."


That right there is all that matters!

spazfilly said...

Were you ever able to get in touch with the stablemaster at the AFB stable? Or is that how you got the owner's contact information? It stinks that people are being so difficult, but My3Arabs is right.

Evergrey said...

Yar, I got the info from the AFB stablemaster, who was very nice and helpful!

Unknown said...

That stinks that the last known owners were so nasty about it :( But like My3Arabs said, him being safe and loved is all that matters now.

BTW, this is Iluvhorses from the PB forum - I'm still not caught up on your blog, but I wanted to drop in and say "Howdy"!

Evergrey said...

Ah well, who knows why they got so angry about it. I just want the matter to end. :/

And it is true, the love is the important thing now! Welcome to my blog, it's good to see you. :) I am liking the PB forums so far. It's nice, not snarky or angry, but friendly people.