Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another day

First off, sorry for the rambly emotional stuff in the last post and comments. Ambine + PMS = BELARRGH.

Today I was finally able to get back to the horses. Yesterday I got some sad news and didn't feel up to leaving the house. Today, of course, Solomon had a lot to say about my absence. There was much "hurhurhur"ing. He was a very sweet boy today, not giving me the slightest bit of trouble. I was just going to go out and give him a treat and some skritches, but the arena was empty for once! We went out there and walked around for a little while. Most of the time we walked without the lead, and he was a good boy and stayed with me except for sniffing a bit of horse poo, heh.

I also took the time to say hello to some of the other rescue horses as well. I do stop by and say hello every once in a while, and they're getting used to me as well. There were pettings and skritches, I got some gentle nose whuffles, and nobody threatened to nip.

I think it was too hot for anyone to act up anyway.

Sol-Sol rolled in the dust, and I didn't brush him afterwards because the flies had been plaguing him, and the dust seems to help a bit. Tomorrow he will probably get a cool horse-down. It's crazy hot up here. There are fires breaking out everywhere. I left my phone number at the barn and told them to call me if a fire gets close so I can help with horse evacuation. They have 4 stallions boarding there, so that will be rather "interesting" if an evacuation is needed.

I helped the little boy walk a leopard appie up out of the arena later on. He was afraid of her because she bites, but she seemed perfectly relaxed with me. I talked to her the whole time though, and I think that helps. Her ears were perked forward and her head was down. I think all she needs is probably some confidence, but I'd have to get to know her better to be sure. I do think it is a good idea to branch out a bit and give the other horses some loves, but Solomon has still won my heart, heh. That's why he is now "my" horse every Tuesday. Yay! Heh, the contract says that it's still the BO's responsibility to feed him, water him, clean his stall and stuff, but one day a week it's my responsibility to give him "brushing and extra loves." Kind of an awesome contract really.

And Solomon is still getting senior feed every day on top of his two flakes of hay, plus whatever treats I bring. Today it was a 4 grain mix. Sol just loves it when I pick up the bucket. Heh.

Now I smell like horse. It's a pleasant smell.


nccatnip said...

The small of horse is the best. Sometimes I just put my nose in Reddi's neck and just breathe. If it could be bottled, I would buy it.

Evergrey said...

Totally. Sometimes I'll go home and smell horse in my hair. It's really comforting.