Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Hidey ho-
Anyone know any sites or online free videos that are good examples of/guides to traditional longeing? I want to longe Solomon, and I want to go with what he already knows instead of trying to learn and teach him the Parelli stuff they do at the barn.

***reasoning, skip if you want, but go ahead and read if you need to know why I'm asking here***

They are very busy and I'd feel badly asking them to take the time to teach me a bunch of stuff that then I would need to teach Solomon. I think that it would be confusing for him if he has already been trained to longe normally. Much easier to just do what he already knows- then it's just one of us having to learn something new, heh.

The barn owner has said that he knows how to longe and is fine at it, and she agrees that it would be a good idea to start doing it with him. One person on the fugly horse of the day boards said I should just ask them what should be done with him, so I'm getting those bits out of the way first. They like the idea of me longing him. They do Parelli, he was trained for the rodeo, so I want to go with what he already knows.

***okay. Technique/what to do questions.***

So I get a longe line and I get a longe whip, and I shouldn't have to touch him with it, just have it behind him and maybe swish a bit when I want him to go forward/faster, and move it to the front of him when I want him to slow down or stop, right? Any contact with the whip, if needed, should just be a light touch, right?

How do I tell him to turn around? Should I stop him and then pull the rope a bit in the other direction while saying "switch up?"
I know that in riding he is trained to canter at the kissy sound, so he probably knows to trot at the clicky sound. I'll see what he responds so. I know that looping the lead rope around any part of my person is a Very Bad Idea. I know that a longe line should be long, and that I need to bear in mind that constantly turning a circle is much harder on a horse's joints than going in a straight line. I need to bear in mind that Solomon is very out of shape and has just really starting putting on a good amount of weight, and that his hooves were not trimmed for at least 4 months before I had them done, and being barefoot is new to him.
I know to check his hooves for rocks before I work him and after.

When I was in high school, I had a friend with a longe whip. She told me that she didn't use it on her horse- she used it on people who would accost her on the trails. Heh.

No comments: