Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Uhm, hi.

Uhm, hi.
My name is Ev, and I've started this blog to chronicle my adventure and misadventures in the horse rescue world.
Let me get something out of the way right away: I am green. Greener than a tree frog that is sitting on a shamrock. I read, I research, I ask noob questions on the Fugly Horse of the Day forums, but I do not have a whole lot of hands on experience with horses. Luckily, there are few animals I've met that haven't trusted me, from dogs and cats to deer and great horned owls. So far, horses seem to think I'm okay too.
I'm 28 years old, I'm fat, and I have a few physical disabilities. I have PTSD. I'm on SSDI because the government decided I was too panic-prone and chronically injured to work a normal job.
I do not, however, like to sit on my ass all day and do not a damned thing.
I cuss like a sailor but melt at the sight of a kitten. You've been warned.

Right now I'm volunteering at a local rescue. THE local rescue. The only game in town. Still trying to make up my mind about the place, but the people do seem nice, and the horses? They can't help what's happened to them, where they are, or who owns them. It's all about the horses, and if I can make the life of even one horse better, well, that's the important thing, right?

So yeah, hi.

No comments: