Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, June 16, 2008

SO SCARY!

Today when I showed up at the barn, I noticed a distinct absence of horses in the front corral, and a just as obvious gap in the fence. Walking towards the back, I also saw Solomon's stall empty, the door lying on the ground. I swear my heart almost stopped! :o
See, Solomon's stall has a broken door, and it just gets leaned up against the doorway. I suspected that he knew how to get out, but didn't really feel like it.
Well, when the fence came down and all those other horses were running around loose, I guess he felt like it. At 5:30 this morning they found them all running around in the street. Thank the gods it wasn't later, or there would have been blood for sure. As it is, they all got rounded up again and nobody got hurt.
Solomon is in the little indoor arena now. He was spooked as hell and running around, rolling his eyes, so I didn't try to catch him and take him out. He's had his workout for the day anyway.
He WAS willing to come to me for carrots today though.
They say that the corral will get a new fence in the next couple of weeks. I hope so. I don't know what will happen with Solomon though. It's clear he can't go back in that stall unless the door is affixed properly somehow.

Damn, I'd been imagining horses running down the road since I started volunteering here. I'm upset to find out that it happens. The people here, they love the horses and they are trying to get everything fixed. I've heard that before they bought it a year ago, it was 50% worse than it is now. It's just a matter of money, which they're very short on. If I were rich I could do something to help there, but I'm not. Guh.

I got to know the nice woman who boards a Mr Prospect son (named Nugget) there a little better. She's cool. She's going to pick up some senior feed for Sol-Sol from the racetrack, and she's going to clean his sheath- she has a lot of experience with it, since she does it with Nugget all the time. She rocks.

I need to figure out if there's any way to get Sol's teeth floated. I'm sure he needs it. And I need to find out what can be done with the stall door issue. If only I had money. :<

Hell, if I had serious money, I'd buy a house with good pasture land and a barn, and I'd find a way to buy Solomon.

No comments: