Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Solomon gets a bath!

Well, he got a rinse anyway.
Today when I showed up and he heard my voice he stuck his head out, perked his ears, and nickered at me until I came over to give him head skritches.
Shockingly enough, there were actually TWO lead lines on the cross ties today. This is pretty rare. Today I asked the BO if I could wash Sol-Sol. She said sure, so up on the bathing place he went.
I ran the hose into the plants until the hot water was gone, then got to work.
"Look Sol-Sol, a hose!"
*Solomon did not look impressed*
He's not the easily spooked type, thank goodness. I started the hose on the ground in front of his feet, then worked my way up his legs so that the water didn't shock him. He didn't like it near his head, so I left it alone- we're still building familiarity and trust.
Cooling off felt good though!
I didn't have any shampoo or conditioner. Next time maybe I will. After the water came the squeegee. Oh yes, Solomon liked the squeegee! He relaxed and his boy bits emerged. Oh gods. Crusty. He really really does need cleaning there, and the BO doesn't do that. DO NOT WANT.
I didn't have gloves or lube with me anyway. I really don't know if I can bring myself to do that, but it clearly needs to be done, and the poor boy can't be comfy like that. Guh.
Anyway, after the bath we took a short walk, and then he got to go back into his stall. With luck, he won't roll in there at least until he's dry. Not that I particularly mind getting sprayed with water when it's so freakin' hot out.
I visited with some of the other horses after I finished with Solomon, who thought it was funny to smack me with his head a couple of times to see if carrots would fall out. Carrots did not fall out, but when he tried to smack me again he learned that my hip was just as mighty as his head. :p
The other horses were friendly (except a paint that tried to bite me) but they didn't know me and I didn't know them, so not a lot happened other than meet'n'greet. Hercules the draft horse who carried my fat ass around in the arena on Monday got a carrot.
My tendonosis is bad today, so I left after a little over an hour.

No comments: