Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, September 14, 2008




(Normally I hold his halter up and he comes and sticks his nose in it. He was a little confused because I wasn't holding it up, but I did have it in my hand. I also learned that you can't use a camera and halter a horse easily at the same time. Sorry for the jiggling at the end, heh.)

He put on some pretty serious weight, eh? Now we need to turn a lot of that weight into muscle. He does climb up and down those hills sometimes, but mostly he'll get it from being ridden. I have a friend who rides him bareback. She's very patient with him, and a good rider. He's doing well! We also practiced walk/trot transitions on the ground with me leading him, which he did really well at tonight. We worked on his mounting block avoidance problem (he avoids it with everyone, but I think I am making a bit of progress) and I tried to worm him, which was an epic fail. The barn charges $5 for them to worm your horse for you. While I want to get to the point where I can do it myself, it just wasn't happening this time. I think the 5 bucks is worth it. This barn has required worming using Quest, and it apparently lasts for 3 months! The horses there consistently have a very low parasite load (some people there had UC Davis test their poo) so I guess it works well.

Anyway, isn't he a cutie?

I wish I knew what happened to his face though. He's had that scar for as long as I have known him.

PS- Dragon, one of the really friendly horses in the herd, really wanted me to take him out today. He came right on up and then did this:

No comments: