Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

video


(Normally I hold his halter up and he comes and sticks his nose in it. He was a little confused because I wasn't holding it up, but I did have it in my hand. I also learned that you can't use a camera and halter a horse easily at the same time. Sorry for the jiggling at the end, heh.)

He put on some pretty serious weight, eh? Now we need to turn a lot of that weight into muscle. He does climb up and down those hills sometimes, but mostly he'll get it from being ridden. I have a friend who rides him bareback. She's very patient with him, and a good rider. He's doing well! We also practiced walk/trot transitions on the ground with me leading him, which he did really well at tonight. We worked on his mounting block avoidance problem (he avoids it with everyone, but I think I am making a bit of progress) and I tried to worm him, which was an epic fail. The barn charges $5 for them to worm your horse for you. While I want to get to the point where I can do it myself, it just wasn't happening this time. I think the 5 bucks is worth it. This barn has required worming using Quest, and it apparently lasts for 3 months! The horses there consistently have a very low parasite load (some people there had UC Davis test their poo) so I guess it works well.

Anyway, isn't he a cutie?

I wish I knew what happened to his face though. He's had that scar for as long as I have known him.

PS- Dragon, one of the really friendly horses in the herd, really wanted me to take him out today. He came right on up and then did this:

No comments: