Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Today I stopped by the old barn. Thought I'd say hi to the horses, see if my friend there had my reins that she took home to fix.
Well she was there, and I got my reins back which was good.
I walked around and said hi to the horses. Some of them called to me.
Then I found out about the dead horse.

He was under a tarp in the upper arena, which is a small corral really. There were three horses in there with them. The truck to take him away showed up, so they pulled the horses out, but they'd been living in there with this dead horse since Friday.
I don't know why I went to see. It's like the horror movies where the person goes into the basement when they know they shouldn't. But I had to see. I don't know why but I had to look, I guess I jsut had to see so I would remember.
He was the same color as Solomon. He had these tiny little fuzzy ears. His mane had been roached, and his teeth looked like they'd been done recently. This horse had been someone's pet. And now he was lying there dead.
I found out that his leg was broken, and someone there RODE him. They cantered him, and his leg just shattered. I know he'd been there about a week, but I don't know when he was ridden, but I guess someone noticed that his leg was just flopping around 8 or 9 hours later. That's what someone there told me. So they euthed him. Maybe today was the first day they could have him hauled away. I don't know. When the tarp came off, the smell hit me, and the horses in the barn near the corral were so scared... they were so scared, they were screaming and kicking their stalls and their eyes were rolling.

I just can't get it out of my head. The horses screaming, and his round fuzzy little ears.

I don't understand. I just don't. I can't stop crying. My boyfriend forbade me from going back there again, he's right. I won't.

I don't know if the owners knew that someone there was going to/did ride him or not. I don't have enough of the story to know exactly what happened. I just... I don't understand how it could have happened. That poor baby.

I went out to the new barn and loved on Solomon. I kissed his velvety nose and gave him a back rub and I keep smelling my hands because they smell like him and I never want to forget.

No comments: