Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Today was a sad day at the barn.

went out with my camera to take new pictures of my horse, to show that he's a lot heavier now than the last pictures I posted.
But when I got there I found Tassies momma sitting with her and feeding her horse cookies and carrots.
Tassie is being put down tomorrow morning. Last winter was very very hard for her, and she has been having a very hard time standing up lately. They didn't want her to end up unable to get up, hurting and scared one morning. She's an old old girl.
Today I ending up not taking pictures of my horse. Today I filled my memory card with a video of Tassie eating carrots. I e-mailed the video to her momma. There are more important things in the world than proving ones-self or one's horse to random people on the internet. I'd forgotten that for a moment.
My heart goes out to her. I think I remember her telling me that she has had Tassie for a very long time. Maybe since she was young?
I didn't know what to say to her in the e-mail with the video. I didn't want to send platitudes. It's just, it has to be one of the hardest, most heartbreaking things. So I just told her what I knew for sure- Tassie knows that she is loved.
Rest in peace, sweet old girl.

No comments: