Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Progress!

My friend-who-rides-Solly-bareback came out today and rode The Freight Train. That is my latest nickname for Sol Sol, because he takes forever to stop. :p

Before I get any further, I'll tell you all that Skorri appears to be fine today. His momma was out walking him and he was acting normal. Whew. Poor baby is very prone to colic apparently. But he is okay for now. Sorry if there was any confusion- Solly and Skorri are two different horses, and Skorri is not mine. But the well-wishes are appreciated!

Solomon was much less resistant with my friend than he was the other day. I did have to chase him around a bit to get his bridle on him, but I rubbed the bit with peppermint so once he got a little taste of it he took it.

He still isn't stopping consistently but also isn't fighting as much. He did a lot more trotting today, which I think he was happy with, though I think he would have preferred to canter. He wasn't backing consistently, but he did trot pretty evenly once he got going, which was nice. He spooked at a cat. My friend managed to stay on despite the fact that he was a little slippery because of his fly spray. D'oh.
Once he got really bored in there we tried taking him on a bit of the bridle path. He was not entirely well behaved, wanted to at least trot instead of walk, but my friend made it through and got him back to the barn just fine. Overall, despite some disobedience and a touch of spookiness, he did quite well and seemed to be giving to it more. A few people paused and told us how lovely he was. :D

No comments: