Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Me, I'm still green, but this morning I was taking stock and making a list of things I felt were important factors in ensuring the success and well-being of a rescued horse. So far I have:

1. Proper feed. Good consistent hay and if they are underweight, a good senior feed, like LMF Senior. I hear the feed by Purina isn't bad either. Something that won't cause colic. Soaked beef pulp or alfalfa cubes if you want to go that route.
2. Probiotics.
3. Proper health care, including worming, tooth floating, food care, treating any rain rot or other skin conditions, etc. Keeping up on these things.
4. Pasture as much as possible with plenty of room to run and be a horse.
5. Socialization with other horses that the horse likes.
6. Consistently (as much as possible) positive experiences.
7. Patience, never rushing the horse, never letting yourself get truly angry with the horse. Play-acting angry is okay and sometimes necessary, but consequences should be immediate and then the matter should be dropped.
8. Solid training, from someone who really knows what they are doing if you don't.
9. Proper conditioning when the horse is strong healthy enough.
10. Love. Bonding and affection are a part of their world.

What would you add to the list? Anything you disagree with?

No comments: