Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

He's firguring it all out.

Today when Solomon noticed me, he came to me and stuck his nose in the halter. Good boy!
The walk to his paddock went very smoothly. He wanted to lead the way, even. Silly boy. I wasn't about to let him drag me along, but we walked at a pretty respectable clip, and he was picking his feet up as we went. He paused to gaze into the grain room for a moment, as if to ask "you're bringing me some senior feed, right?" When I put him in his paddock and went to get him a scoop of the stuff, he made his "hurhurhur feed me" sound as soon as he heard me lift the lid on the grain can. I'm not sure if other horses pick up on these things so quickly. Maybe they do. I still think he's a clever hoss though.
Sol was relaxed in his paddock, accepting his brushing happily as he ate. After he finished eating, he picked his feet up for me without complaint. At the old place he refused to pick up his feet if he wasn't tied at the post. Here he does it loose in his paddock, and he even did it loose in the pasture for a new horseperson friend of mine. :)

I don't remember if I mentioned her. She's nice, and she's from Louisiana. She wanted to meet other horse people in the area, and I'm always happy to meet people who share my obsession, heheh.

Going back to the pasture Solomon DID freeze up for a moment, but it was because someone in the solid-sided roundpen was working their horse, and all he could see were ear-tips and a baseball cap. He's still figuring out what all the new stuff here is. I had to take him in a small circle but that got him moving again, and after that we had no problems.

In the pasture, a very large grey horse was really pushy towards me, and it made me a wee bit nervous. I ended up making the horse back off- I don't know that horse, and don't know if he or she (I didn't really check) was thinking of biting me or not. You know how a horse will lip at you and it can sometimes be hard to tell if they are thinking of giving you a nip or if they are just getting friendly? I'll have to ask about that horse.

Anyway, I asked the BO yesterday what she thought Solomon was built for. She said he looked like a racing horse to her. No tattoo though, so I guess he wasn't ever raced. Everyone at the old place told me he was fast. Maybe he would have been good at it. He's far too old to do something like that now though. I don't think he'll mind being a gentle trail horse for me. The BO also said that he isn't all that long, it's just the thoroughbred in him showing. Anyway, I'm hoping to ride him one of these days soon, but I think I want someone there with me.

No comments: