Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Solomon is moving at the end of the month!

WOW.
Hossmoor ROCKS.
Everyone there was really nice and down to earth and happy. It was CLEAN there, and huge. The pasture is cool, the horses ALL look healthy, and the pipe paddocks are really cool- the woman who runs the place would like to put Solomon in the senior horse section. Clean and shady (but with a sunny bit) and access to the 90 acre pasture. It will take sacrifices, but it will be worth it for him to get the home he deserves. I'm not saying I won't rehome him evenutally, it depends on what is ultimately best for him, but in the meantime he'll be able to get healthy and he'll be much much much happier. They feed alfalfa in the morning, pro performance supplement in the afternoon if he's stalled, and grass hay in the evening. They feed each horse as much as they need, and do not charge more if one horse needs more flakes of hay than another.
The same vet that saw Solomon goes to that barn. They have real trainers there. Everyone looked really happy and content, including the horses. Plenty of turn-out for all.
I prayed to Odin asking for guidance today when I went out to find the place. When the woman who owns it was showing me the pipe paddocks, two ravens flew down and landed on one of the empty ones, staring me right in the eye. Well okay then, hard to get much clearer than that, eh?
The woman who runs is also seems really cool. Has a black cat and a black dog. The dog was abandoned in front of the stables and she took her in. We climbed in the ATV to take a tour of the place, and the dog jumped right in and cuddled against my legs. The owner told me to go check out another stable in the area that she thinks is also good just to be sure, and to see if they had a better offer. I went out there and talked to a Danish couple that boarded there. They were really nice, but that place was more expensive than Hossmoor. The BO at Hossmoor has a giant mounted bear in her dining room. She hunted it herself. Said it made good jerky, though the meat fresh was too gamy for her. Her door was open and when I said "hello?" she just said "come on in!"

Now tomorrow I have to tell the current BO that I'm moving. I'm scared about that. I told her I might move him when I got him though, so she shouldn't freak out on me. It's a way way WAY better situation at Hossmoor and I'm sure she knows it. How could she not?

Then I need to arrange for someone to trailer him at the end of the month. While the place is more expensive, it actually isn't more expensive by as much as one would think, since I am having to buy extra food and shavings for Sol right now, not to mention thrush medicine.

Hossmoor smells CLEAN. The arena was soft. So THAT'S what an arena is supposed to be like!

I wish I could move Solomon now, but I need to wait until the end of the month. I'm filling out an application now though. Some other people who bought a horse at the barn also wanted to hear what it was like there. Oh yeah, it's nice. It's what a horse boarding facility SHOULD be.

Some people leave their horses out to pasture 24-7 except when the weather is bad. We'll see what Solomon likes better. There are shade trees in the pasture, flat areas and hills, plenty of water, and all the good hay they can eat. He might like having his own little place to go to during the heat of the day though.

It's not going to be easy, but I do feel like a great weight has lifted because I know he'll be in good hands when I'm not there.

1 comment:

The horse lawyer said...

Thank goodness. I am so glad.