Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Solomon sees, bleeds the vet.

So uh Solomon doesn't like it when people put their hands in his mouth.
I decided he really needed to see a vet, and happened to call the clinic that the BO was having a vet come out from at 3 today. I split the coming out cost with the BO.

I really wish that the emergency sale thing hadn't come up so soon. I do not regret rescuing Solomon, but I do wish I'd had time to arrange for a co-owner or a lease or something. I'm considering asking for donations but I really really don't like begging for money, especially since he's my responsibility now. I knew from this blog that they are expensive, very expensive, and that they always end up costing you more than you expected. I just couldn't let him go off to a rotten abusive situation. Agh. I know, I should prolly be featured because I'm poor and I bought a horse.

Anyway, yeah. Solomon has quite possibly NEVER had his teeth floated. They were really bad. Also he bit the vet's thumb. You know when something hurts so bad you don't even scream, you just open your mouth and scrunch your face up and sorta crumple a bit? That's what the vet did. Solomon is now wearing war paint in the form of his blood. He reared, too. I mean, he seriously freaked, though at least he didn't kick. Poor vet is probably going to lose his nail. I could not believe it!
"There's a reason why he's a rescue!" said the vet. Heh.

Solomon did not get any shots this year, so he needs those too.

Solomon has scars and old injuries on his lower legs. The old injuries don't seem to bother him any more- a bad scar on his front right foot and a thickened tendon on his back left leg. He has a tiny bit of lameness on his left front foot, which is smaller than his right. A more in-depth exam would be needed to find the cause. The vet feels that my level of riding should not cause him pain or problems, and that it only shows very slightly when he is run in really tight circles, but to call me if it gets any worse. He feels that the left foot is also from an old, ongoing condition.

He also said that my weight was absolutely FINE for Solomon to carry, even with the foot.

Solomon DOES know how to lunge, he has the training but doesn't want to. The vet threw little rocks, which actually worked, heh. He said that he highly recommended that I get lessons and that Solomon get a little bit of re-training, just to remember the old training he clearly has. I also need to be more firm and establish my dominance more clearly, and to NOT give up when he doesn't want to do something, but work on him until he does it.

I do not want to put a bridle with a bit on him again until I've had his teeth done- it's very likely causing him discomfort because of his teeth. I won't be leasing him until I know he's in good enough condition, which means that this month will be spent getting him all the things he needs done including training brush-ups.

I'm really appalled by how badly he has been neglected. He needs the farrier again too, though that will be half of what it was before since his feet were so bad the last time.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I set up a donation of some sort for Solomon's upcoming vet care? I really don't want to be "that guy." And I will rehome him if that's what's needed, but I want to try to avoid it if I can since you never know if "a good home" will be safe and good and permanent for the rest of the horse's life. And getting everything fixed up will also increase his chance of getting a better home if it comes to that.

Oh yeah, and the vet said that he's between 15 and 17 years old.

No comments: