Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Bad feeling

Ever get a bad feeling that something is going to happen?
I have that feeling right now. Maybe I'm paranoid or I sound silly, but I am still really worried about tonight. :( I'm worried that the horses in the open pens might run through the fences or something, or a horse will knock his head or his legs in his stall really badly. I don't know. Just a bad feeling. My bad feelings come true when they're as specific as this too often.

Sol was upset today. Lots of fireworks last night, I don't blame him. I picked his hooves with a little more difficulty than the last time. His stall is starting to get not good again. :(
I took him into the arena but a lady yelled down that she needed it soon. She still hadn't gone in when I left, but made a pointed comment to one of the other people there that it was okay if they walked their horse on a lead in there, but she didn't want "people who are being foolhardy" in there. Not sure if she was referring to me because I had Sol alone with me in the locked arena off the lead rope. :p I would have readily put one back on him, but I was working on teaching him to come immediately when called without the use of a rope. He did well with that. We went around the arena once without the rope, which he did with no stopping issues.
Anyway, we left the arena so that the lady could ride her horse around in there without us bugging her, and we went for a walk to the end of the block and back.
Solomon wasn't happy about it today. His head was up and tossing a bit, and he was balking a tad. I thought about turning him around and putting him back in his stall, but I decided that it was better to show him that things were okay and teach him that he could trust me. So we went up the block. I spoke to him in low, soothing tones the whole time, telling him it was okay, saying "easy, easy," keeping his pace slow and gentle. He was jumpy but he was a good boy and he obeyed. We made it all the way to the corner, at which point I decided he'd been tested enough and it was time to go back. I had to keep him from going too fast- he did NOT want to be out there. He felt nervous and exposed. I don't think I was projecting anything, I got the bad feeling mostly when I was leaving. I picked the rocks out of his hooves with my fingernails because I didn't want to leave him standing there feeling so nervous, and then put him back in his stall, took off his halter, and gave him a carrot.
The strange thing is that he stuck his head out the window and put his nose into the halter no problem, but when taking it off him I had to tell him to stand.
I think it's mostly because he was afraid that the loud booming things from the night before might still be out in the street.

No comments: