Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A very good day!

Aside from getting pulled over, heh.
But at least the police officer who got me just gave me a fix-it ticket for my mirror and expired registration. Ooooops. But he used to run a boarding barn and he has 4 quarter horses (no, that doesn't mean one full horse) so we yakked about horses, boarders, and ban drama for a bit. Not a bad experience, as far as getting pulled over goes. Heh. I don't know why, but sometimes you can just tell when someone is a horse person. ;)
Anyway, Sol was SUCH a good boy today! I was really proud of him.
The biggest breakthrough came at hoof picking time. When I started working with him, I had to haul his hoof up by making him bend his leg. Today when I said "give" he actually picked up his feet for me! He was so good about it. Little bit of struggling with the trushy foot when it took me a long time to get it clean, though it is getting better- there's not even a bad smell any more.
Also, since he has obviously gotten bored with walking around the arena, today I got permission to take Solomon out for an actual walk.
He really came alive out there! New stuff! Something different! He was walking like we were in a parade, heheh. In the arena he kind of drags around slowly, but out on the sidewalk he kept up a good clip. He was very obedient except when we passed a perfectly green lawn. (Hello? DROUGHT? why is your lawn so perfectly green?) He managed to steal a mouthful before I was able to get him going again. :p Crossing the street and stepping up and down curbs went fine though. He didn't even freak out when a giant bus came barreling around the corner just inches away from him. Little bit of an eye roll, but that was it.
When we came back to the stables, I cleaned Sol's feet again (there are always some rocks) and iodined them. A girl tied her mare to the same post as Sol, and he started biting her and making her squeal. Grrr, maybe ask if I can move him instead of assuming they'll get along? Thankfully a "HEY BREAK IT UP" and a strong "BACK" stopped him. I put him back in his stall, heh.
Also met a nice older man who changes the water for the horses. He's from the generation where it was okay to call women "sweethear" and "honey" and "dear." I don't mind it at all when it isn't patronizing. Nice fellow. He complimented Solomon and his progress.
I did spend a little time with some of the other horses again. But yeah, despite advice to not get attached, I'm pretty hooked on Solomon. :p

4 comments:

chalina1 said...

Hi Ev. I'm Sarah, I've been keeping an eye on your and your horsie on FHOTD and decided to have a look at your blog. Very entertaining and I'm glad things are going so well. Keep up the good work. Solomen reminds me very much of a horse we recently picked up...I'll ahve to put him on fugly so you can have a look

Evergrey said...

Hi Sarah! Thank you, and htank you for stopping by. :)
I look forward to seeing your horse- what is his or her name?

chalina1 said...

Hmm his race name evades me right now, but pet name is silver (race name was silver something). I think I'll do a breed guess when I put him up next week - I reckon he looks kind of like an andie. So you have to stay quiet if you see him on there!

2manyminis said...

Hey! He looks great & seems to be coming along great!

Have you tried bleach for his thrush? Cheaper & less messy than iodine. I just put some in a spray bottle & spray after I pick the hooves. Works great!!