Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bringing out the big guns in the thrush battle.

Today Sol got coppertoxed. I used a brush to put it on after I cleaned out his hooves. Was a dumbass and didn't put on gloves. The top of the bottle was broken, as it happened. I can't seem to get the chemical stench out of my fingers, but at least they only have a slight green tinge now.
Of course the way to really get rid of the thrush is to ensure that he has a clean stall every day. Dear gods, please heal my back and give me some cash for bedding. Love Ev.
Actually, a clean dry stall and a pasture to roam around in would be great. I know, I know, I keep saying it. Keep hoping the dream will come true somehow I guess, heh.
Anyway, I brought my friend V____ out to meet Solomon. He liked him. A boarder told me I should use some sort of device to make Sol keep his head down and work out,t o build up his top line. Interesting. He doesn't tend to walk around with his head up anyway though. We'll work on trotting him on the line more for now. I'd like to avoid making him hold his head a certain way if I can. Read Black Beauty too recently to want to do that I guess. She was right about him needing more muscle though. Hah, so do I!
People on the Fugly board are asking for pics of Sol in his new gear. He has a new red halter and a new red bridle with black reins. All nylon, though it will all probably eventually be replaced with leather. Will do for now though, the halter is only on when I have him out, and the bridle is only for walks around the arena. The snaffle bit is really nice and gentle though. A gift from a friend.
I'm hoping I can prove that Solomon will do fine in a really gentle bit. I'm hoping I don't break my neck, ha! But he has been so good with me so far. I haven't tried on the bridle yet, but I will sometime in the next few days. I want to learn how to tack him up properly all on my own. Always best if you are going to ride a horse to know how to take care of him completely, I think. I'm not a princess. I'm just new.

No comments: