Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Wormer: CONCENTRATED TUBES OF SATAN!

My stuff from horse.com got here! Also a friend mailed me the black beauty book, the black beauty movie, and a really gentle snaffle bit. Yay gentle bit! :D
The dressage whip is excellent, really long and easy to snap. The cotton longe line is nice and strong and soft with a rubber donut and a swivel snap. The riding crop is very nice as well. I got the sprays, brushes, cleaners, gloves, and wormer.
I was excited, it was like Christmas in July! I took my stuff out to the barn and managed to trick Solomon out of his stall in the middle of feeding time with a carrot. I was an evil evil horse mom today. Got his mane detangled, gave him a quick green spot remover spray and brush, and gave him fly spray, which seemed to relieve him of flies immediately. Yay! Hoof picking went without incident. The little boy who runs around really wanted to pick his hooves, and Sol is good with his feet so I let him pick one hoof. He has his own horse so he knew how to do it, heh. He's always wanting to help, and it made him happy.
But then, dear readers, I pulled out the Evil Tube of Wormer. As it happens, wormer is a concentrated tube of pure Satan. I did not know this, but Solomon did, and he knew what it was as soon as I pulled it out.
In a way, this was encouraging, because it meant he had been wormed in the past. Also we saw that his teeth are actually doing pretty well and do not currently need to be floated.
That being said, it was impossible for me to get him to take the wormer. Hurcules' daddy was there, and he tried and got kicked. KICKED! I'd never seen Sol act like that before! In the end it took 4 of us to get the damned wormer in his mouth. Two very experienced horsemen holding his head and rubbing his withers, one person bribing him with a carrot, and me stroking his head and speaking slowly and gently to him. The carrot was a last resort- we didn't want to reward bad behavior, but that was really the only way we were able to get the wormer in his mouth. At least he only kicked once. It was a good reminder for me though- horses are dangerous, even Solomon.
His top line is really filling out now. I think he's up to weight.
http://www.niceboots.org/~evergrey/horsestuff/Solomon0708/eatinghay07.jpg
Tomorrow if my back doesn't hurt too badly, we're working on the longeing.
Yesterday my friend Mik came by for a visit, and he came out with me to meet Solomon. He took a picture of me picking hooves as an action shot. Of course Solomon farted on my head while he took the picture. Heh, I'll post it if he sends it to me.
Oh yeah, and Solomon has a secret! I did not tell any of the kids. There is a hen nesting in his stall!
http://www.niceboots.org/~evergrey/horsestuff/hen.jpg

No comments: