Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, July 14, 2008

...

Today I found Solomon in the outdoor corral. They're moving him from where he was living to someplace else, not sure where yet. Someplace else at the stables, he'll still be living at the same place.
He does seem to get along better with the horses in the corral, so that's good.
Not so good- on his side where a saddle would touch, there's a couple of patches where the hair is gone and the skin is red. They weren't there when I saw him the day before yesterday.
Today a child who takes lessons there also told me that Solomon gets taken to the rodeo. And has been for a while. When his hooves were 4 months overdue for trimming and his ribs were all sticking out. And adults have been riding him. "he bucked about 3 weeks ago," the boy said. Well yeah, three weeks ago I don't think someone should have been on his back.
I can't even think straight right now.
Solomon was happy to see me, came to me, put his head in the halter, walked out with me and stood there while I closed the gate, then stood for me when I put the lead rope on. I picked his hooves and brushed him and let him scavenge some hay that was loose. I found the wounds. Saddle sores? Or maybe a horse bit him, or maybe it's from lying on the rocks in the corral.
I don't know what to do. I wonder if I could find someone to co-own him with me, and if I could convince the barn owner's boyfriend to let me adopt him, since he is the fellow who they tell me rescued him. Also the guy who takes him to the rodeo, so the kid tells me.
Anyone in the bay area want to try with me? Or anyone who can give good references want to try to upgrade him? I'd miss the hell out of him but more than anything I want him to have a good life.

2 comments:

nccatnip said...

Any more rides, Evergrey? Do you think you are feeling stronger and healthier now you have started working with Soloman?
I have been approached about using Cricket for a therapeutic riding program but am wavering, I might check them out and just see what they are all about. Can't be too careful.

Evergrey said...

Hi there!
I'm so sorry I fell behind here. I'll post a bunch of massive updates!
I did ride him a second time, and I took pictures! :D I'll post some of them here as well.
Therapeutic riding programs sound great, provided that they are good to their animals, of course. I say go check 'em out when they aren't expecting you, if that's possible. I'm sneaky like that. ;) But you can't be too careful, that's so right!