Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

buuuh

Thomas had the car uh, 1 day? and this morning some ass broke the rear door handle off and left it lying there in the street. And he cracked the body of that door when he did it. WHY.
Man I need a shotgun and some rock salt I tell you what.


Went to barn to try out new wintec loaner. A kindly stable hand (love those guys enough that I'm considering learning to speak Spanish, really, it's useful anyway) held sol so I could get on. I'm getting quick. Sit down gently but get yourself in position fast with no pulling the saddle off balance. I AM A MOUNTING NINJA.
I thought the wintec looked balanced BUT
It was one of these options:
1. Mad about shitty ride yesterday.
2. The rainstorm.
3. poor saddle fit on the winted.
4. residual soreness from poor saddle fit from my saddle
5. hotness from being cooped up all day for a few days
6. "bitch I wanted to go flirt with venus"
7. Psychic horse brain scanorama detects insecurity, BLOOP BLOOP BLOOP!
that caused Solly to run off with me, fighting back against the 1 rein stop, to flirt with Venus, which I did not allow, and then when I got him away from there and back to the lot he decided to give me a few crow-hop bucks. BUCKS!!!!
I got off. Yeah I did, because we haven't established whether it is a behavior issue or a pain issue, and I am not going to punish him for being in pain by hurting him more. Once I have saddle fit down though? Nononoonooooo we will NOT be doing THAT crap.
Exasperated "wait just STOP AND STAND A MOMENT dammitt" worked and he stood calmly while I dismounted.
Found a Western lady to look, she said the gullet was low on the wintec, the fit looks great on it's own. Hm. I need to find a fitter for sure. And an equine chiropractor.
But once there is a fitting saddle situation and a back exam pass, I'm sticking to his back and we are WORKING. And before then we are doing serious ground work with me establishing my alpha HUMAN status nice and crystal crystal clear.

He gets a break and a nice lady at the barn will turn him out a few times. I get to drive to San Bernadino with no defogging or ac/heat in general vents and a tire that is slowly going flat. FUN FOR ALL!

Except while signing cards for the barn staff, who are awesome and I love them, I locked my keys, backup keys, wallet, info book, and phone in my car. AAA couldn't find me the first time. Second time they could but they woudln't help until I gave my parent's new address, as I am insured with them. It took two conference calls, a total of 5 people, and at least half an hour to get them to send out roadside assistance, who took 30 seconds to unlock my car and scan my card.

I got to know my wonderful barn owner a little better. I gifted her with flowers because I didn't know if she only liked skulls from things she'd killed herself or if any animal parts would do. She used to be picky, she told me, but now not so much. She did like the miniatrue rose plant though. Golden petals with pink tips. PRetty and loud, and kind of go with her kitchen. :)

After, the man took me to noodles. Mmmm noodles.

I need to teach Solly RESPECT.

No comments: