Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, December 1, 2008

A peaceful pasture dinner in the mist.



Heh, I don't know why Bobby in particular (the young 'un) was so fascinated with me today. Luckily Solly likes him. Earlier it was Nick-Knack coming up behind me. I didn't see her and she's a giant grey ninjamare, but Solly did, and he tried to tell me, heh. I chased her off because she has no concept of personal space with humans, and will attack my horse while I am leading him out of the pasture. Not so safe. It's too bad, because I like her, but yeah, she needs to keep her distance.

Looks like he is going well with the rest of the herd though. :) Three horses on one pile of hay! There are always a lot of extra piles, but there they are, peacefully eating together. Well mostly.

Still a bit of heat in his leg, but it does look like it's healing. If it stays hot or swells up or anything I'll call the vet again and get some antibiotics. But mostly what you see there is his old injury, which he has had for as long as I have known him. It doesn't seem to bother him, according to the vet.

Got ripped off on e-bay. I ordered a case of 18 rolls of vetrap. What I got was some off-brand, and while the auction claimed the rolls were 5 yards, they were half the thickness of the last roll of vetrap that I have. Grr. Here's hoping it can be dealt with peacefully.

I'm waiting for a swayback pad to arrive. Solly's saddle was bridging a bit, I'm still learning about fitting properly, and the pad should fix that. Not riding him until his legs is totally better anyway, but I'm also not going to ride him until I'm sure he'll be comfortable. I also got a better girth for him. Didn't like that old rope one.

No comments: