Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Well, Solly is settling fine into his new digs. I do like the water better here. Don't like the paddock barn as much. He doesn't have a wall in this one, and there's a mare who is in heat right now, screaming and screaming. Solly is nervous, but he has food so it's all okay. He took to the move quite well, though he was confused when I left the pen without him. "Wait mom, aren't you going to take me back home?"
I moved all my stuff out of my tack locker. Bye bye, locker. Hello communal tack room. But the fridge is bigger, much bigger, and I secured a nice spot. Lots of room, really, and the whole tack room locks, which is a bit more secure. I do not think anyone will be stealing from me. That doesn't seem to happen at out barn, yay!
Tomorrow I'll go get some plastic storage containers with drawers. Hopefully I'll be able to organize my crap in a non-obnoxious fashion. I do like the saddle racks in there a lot. I think we'll settle in fine.
Solly is not limping much at all now. Yay! He is feeling better quickly. I am a relieved horse mom. Seems like it really was just a scrape from his hoof. He is wearing an easyboot loaned by the BO to help keep it clean, though I don't want to leave it on for long, since she could only find one. It must not feel great to stand all uneven like that. So probably just for the next day.
BO was very nice and quite helpful. And I know she wanted me to move over there anyway. So everyone will be happy. Solly and his pasturemates won't be freaking each other out. The BO will get her back paddock secton to herself and the volunteers. I'll put on my big girl panties and deal.
I also found out that the tack exchange stuff was still there, and I scored some awesome things I overlooked last time- I got a helmet that fits my head really comfortably, more comfortably than my other helmet. I got a bareback pad that I hadn't realized was a bareback pad the first time, but it's heavy duty, VERY thick and long and cushiony, with a fleece girth. Someday when I am a better rider I will try it. :)
It was dark by the time I was able to tend to Solly's foot. I put him in the cross-ties at the new tack room, and he was a scared boy. He kept half-spooking, eyes wide with lots of white showing, nostrils flaring, but he did try to be good. I couldn't see anything at first, but then the source of his fear emerged:
A kitty cat.
Heh. That's my boy.
It was one of the BO's cats, roaming around, hunting mice. Solomon was certain that the cat was in fact a lion. Telling him everything was fine only helped a little bit, so I shurgged and walked over to the cat, petting him and telling Solomon that it was fine, that the cat was a force of good and would not hurt him. See? The cat didn't eat me! So the cat will not eat you either.
Hah, and it actually worked. He calmed way down. I let him smell the cat on my hands. He let me mess with his foot and put that boot on him. When I left he was nomming on hay. The mare was screaming and pacing and presenting, but he couldn't have cared less.

I do look forward to him getting back to the pasture though. And to being able to ride again. I haven't even checked out how the swayback pad works with his saddle yet!

No comments: